Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Coffee Era

Just to let you know…

I am not a coffee lover and I will never be.
I only drink coffee when Pepsi is not around and I’m staying up late to study.
I actually like the smell of coffee but I don’t like the taste, especially the aftertaste.
I don’t really drink coffee, but if I did, I try to finish it off in less th
an 3 minutes. No smelling. No enjoying. No drinking drama. I’m just after the caffeine’s effect.
Are we clear? Good.

That is because this post might imply that I’ve become a coffee lover. Hindi po. Batang Milo at Nido ako. And till now, I still prefer choco or milk drinks over coffee. Or I’d just go for iced tea. I’d even be just fine with water. You think the sleepless college nights I had made me a coffee-addict? Nah uh.

So here it goes. This mont
h, I’ve been hanging out at coffee houses. Imagine? Nung college nga I think I’ve just been to Starbucks twice…. Just twice! ‘Coz considering my allowance, di practical para sa’kin ang tumambay sa isang coffee shop na over a hundred pesos ang isang cup of frapawhatevah. Mamumulubi ako non. Haha. Nursing student pa naman ako… heavy na nga sa bulsa yung books at hospital paraphernalias ko eh. Di rin ako pasosyal to go there just to be SEEN. Ang routine ko lang noon eh bumili ng Safari, potato chips or donuts on my way home… tumambay sa publication office or sa Gateway… stroll sa National Bookstore… Mangulit ng tao… TV… Movie… Masaya na’ko dun. But now that I’m earning my own money, there’s been a change in my leisure hours. When Clang and I are in “spendthrift mode”, direcho kami sa coffee shop after kumain ng lunch. Sometimes I even go there alone after ng work. Aha. Ayos di ba?

Dito nagsimula yan…

Last February 4, I got a crazy work sked. It’s 3pm to 12mn. Unholy hours for a nocturnal person like me. People are napping or eating their merienda, and here we are in the training room disassembling computer towers, trouble-shooting motherboard problems or fixing network issues! Argh. Our class is fun but sometimes I can’t help but feel sleepy that I’d give anything in exchange for a few minutes of sleep. That’s when I started going often to the pantry for sips of coffee. It worked, but later on it’s like I became immune to caffeine, specifically, from instant coffees. I began going to the restroom just to wash my face and get rid of all signs of sleepiness. Sigh. Drug tolerance… Are you familiar with the term? (NUrSe mode on) Well, it occurs when someone’s reaction to a medicine decreases so that larger doses are required to achieve the therapeutic effect (NUrSe mode off). Yes… Yes… It happened to me. Not with drugs but with coffee. I needed a stronger shot!

That’s when I started to appreciate the hot brews from coffee shops. I go there in hopes of stimulant and energy. Or at least a temporary solution to ward off drowsiness and reduce the feeling of being tired. Haay. OK naman. Effective. DQ won’t do. Pantry won’t do. When my eye lids are drooping at work… I forget what expensive means, my feet could trace only the way to a coffee shop’s door, and baristas become superheroes.

Man, this sure is ugly. I still don’t like coffee. Tsk tsk. But I need it. Sigh.

Bring back Pepsi Cino!!!!!!

0 comments: