Monday, July 14, 2008

A woman from Venezuela took the Crown this year. Gosh. And she's not even included in my list of favorites. My personal picks for Miss U 2008 were:

1. Ms. Czech Republic
2. Ms. Mexico
3. Ms. Korea
4. Ms. Australia

I used to be a super lucky, confident, kinda arrogant guesser when it comes to the Miss Universe pageant, which is by the way my annual ritual: I could postpone important activities just so I could watch the pageant at home. Right from the start, I thought it would be Ms. Mexico. Argh. My aunt's bet was Ms. Venezuela. I told her "Hindi. Mexico 'yan. Promise. Baka 1st runner up lang si Venezuela." Shucks. And Mexico came out as the 4th Runner Up. Hmmmmp. Ni hindi man lang nag-first Runner Up! Kinakalawang na yata ang judgment ko. Oh no. But at least Ms. Mexico was awarded best in swimwear.

Ms. Mexico - Elisa Najera



Anyway, in fairness to Ms. Venezuela, she's smart. When asked on the difference between men and women, she said that men think that the fastest way to go to a point is to go straight, while women know that the faster way to go to a point is to go to the curves. Haha. She answered with a confident smile and voice.

My guess result:
Miss Universe - Ms. Mexico
1st Runner Up - Ms. Venezuela
2nd Runner Up - Ms. Colombia
3rd Runner Up - Ms. Russia
4th Runner Up - Ms. Dominican Republic


Here are the ACTUAL winners:
Miss Universe - Ms. Venezuela
1st Runner Up - Ms. Colombia
2nd Runner Up - Ms. Dominican Republic
3rd Runner Up - Ms. Russia
4th Runner Up - Ms. Mexico

At least I scored one. *wink*

And oh, by the way, Ms. USA tripped on the train of her evening gown, same accident as Ms. USA-Universe 2007. Shocking because it's the SECOND time that Ms. USA fell down during the long gown competition. But bravo Ms. USA 2008, you stood up and clapped like it didn't matter. Ang galing. But for me, Miss Universe 1999 1st Runner Up Miriam Quiambao still has the best, most fabulous, most graceful pose after a trip. It's legendary.

CONGRATULATIONS, Miss Dayana Mendoza!

Scary Spice was the female host of the event. Hmm... I suddenly missed the Spice Girls.

0 comments: